Reporting to the Director and under the guidance of the Chagdzo, the Bookkeeper facilitates the financial operations of the Abbey. We are looking for a two-year commitment.
The Abbey offers a rare opportunity to practice, study, and work with a strong community in a deeply contemplative environment. In additional to being a resident of the Abbey, you will receive a small stipend.
- Process accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Prepare daily petty cash balances and daily entries
- Allocate incomes
- Ensure the integrity of the system's data and reports
- Prepare monthly and year-end financial statements
- Provide copies of monthly statements to the Director, Chagdzo, and department heads
- Complete month-end and quarterly reporting requirements
- Prepare bank deposits and bank reconciliation
- Complete monthly reconciliation of balance sheet accounts
- Prepare payroll and remit payroll tax
- Assist with programs and other tasks as assigned
- Maintain and/or establish business relationships with outside vendors, bankers, etc.
- Working with the Chagdzo and the Director, provide support for annual budget preparation and for preparation of quarterly financial reports
- Prepare HST/GST claim forms and other government-related financial forms
- Pay property tax
- Supervise the Abbey's Finance Assistant, whose job is to process donations, file financial documents, and prepare donor letters
- Experience performing the duties outlined above
- Experience with non-profit organizations
- Ability to work within a community
- Experience working with QuickBooks is an asset
For more information about the Abbey, please visit www.gampoabbey.org.